Who We Are
Mission Statement, Guiding Principles and Objectives:
The PEI Council of People with Disabilities has adopted as its mission the promotion of the full participation and inclusion of people with disabilities in Island society.
Its guiding principles can be found in the United Nations declaration on the status of disabled persons which states, in part, that:
- "persons with disabilities have the right to economic and social security and to a decent level of living."
- "persons with disabilities are entitled to have their needs taken into consideration at all stages of economic and social planning."
The Council has the following objectives:
- to promote self-help for persons with disabilities;
- to provide a voice of persons with disabilities on issues of concern;
- to act as a monitor to ensure improvements in the lives of persons with disabilities;
- to promote strategies and policies as determined by persons with disabilities;
- to encourage and facilitate communication between disability organizations and groups;
- to create public awareness of the concerns of persons with disabilities;
- and to encourage a positive image of persons with disabilities.