Employment Counselling & Services Program
Since 1982, the Employment Counselling and Services Program has provided assistance, support, instruction and referral for persons with disabilities to find and retain employment and/or access training & educational opportunities. We encourage and assist employers to hire qualified persons with disabilities. We also conduct public awareness sessions about employment of persons with disabilities including: appropriate language, etiquette, human rights, accommodation & employment equity.
- Provides a client focused, Island wide service for people with disabilities
- Provides clients with support and tools needed in order to assist the in reaching their employment or educational goals
- Assists clients in finding a job, as well as obtaining the necessary training, skills development and educational opportunities
- Committed to empowering individuals in developing and implementing effective job search and self marketing skills through Work Abilities- a skills enhancement program
- Provides assistance and consultation in transition from school in providing assistance with career decision making and employablility enhancement
- Employment Specialists work with clients to achieve employment goals—including assistance with finding financial support for education or childcare, assistance with various applications, wage subsidy or referrals to other organizations that may prove beneficial.
Job seekers are assisted with job search skills, career assessments, access to training & educational opportunities, resume building and employment maintenance skills.
Employers are assisted with worksite assessments, information on hiring/working with persons with disabilities, referring qualified individuals to available positions and setting up work placements and referral to wage subsidies.
Job Coaching is also available.
Work Abilities Program:
- Helps develop essential skills required for individuals' career of interest through career exploration, by clarifying career goals and creating a career plan
- Builds self- confidence in individuals before they enter the workforce through gaining employability skills in a safe environment with personal growth and independence
- Prepares people to secure employment by assisting in building necessary career and life skills, resume development and interviewing skills.